What do you do when your friend writes a book?
You brag. Hard.
Lauryn and I have been friends since the old days (aka the nineties), & back then our favorite past-time was to pass back this cheesy Abercrombie & Fitch shirtless guy journal. It was our way of writing each other notes, & between classes we would pass it back & forth.
It was then that I should have known she was going to write a book someday. She mastered her voice through her words, she was effing hilarious, & her grammar was always spot on.
As I was writing “WANT TO GET 2GETHER 4 LUNCH AFTR SKOOL?”, she was all “Erica, I know that you can spell correctly. What is with these atrocious abbreviations. Get it together or you will never get into a good college!”. Nothing’s changed either, she’s still the grammar police & I love it- she keeps me on my toes.
So, when she told me she was approached to write a book based off her amazing health & wellness blog, The Skinny Confidential, I was ecstatic for her & totally not surprised.
Not only is she a health/fitness/beauty guru with all the best tips you would never think of, but she is also incredibly motivating. She makes living a healthy lifestyle easy.
People don’t have all the time in the world to make healthy 5 course dinners, to get their hair done perfectly, or to work-out for hours a day, & she get’s that. She modifies & makes it simple simple simple.
Her book is all of that & much more. Trust. I got it yesterday by courier & I sat down, turned off the TV (weird!!), & read it from cover to cover in 30 minutes. I laughed, bookmarked like crazy, & made a grocery list.
Should you buy it?
Well, let me ask you this- do you want to live a healthier & more well-rounded lifestyle? Do you want to know some the best beauty/ hair secrets to ever exist? Do you want to know how to most effectively tone & lean out your bod in the shortest amount of time? Do you want to satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way?
Then the answer is easy, abso-effing-lutely. Find it HERE.
Happy Reading & you can thank me later ;).
++ The fact it’s the cutest book ever doesn’t hurt either. ++
++ The recipes are to-die-for & perfect for the cooking/time challenged like myself!! ++
++ If you buy a book (which I know you will), post a picture of you & the book on Insty w/ the hashtag #TheSkinnyConfidential for a chance to be featured on Lauryn’s blog!! ++
++ & if you live in the area, I hope to see you at the much anticipated TSC Book Launch party!! It’s going to be pretty amazing w/ some great goody bags & festivities. ++
So you wanna be a natural beauty eh?
Well then, let’s start with some natural beauty products (makes sense, right?).
“Chemicals/ ingredients that you can’t pronounce are so good for your skin!!!!” -said NO ONE EVER!!!
Back to basics people. These 10 products are ones I personally swear by as they have helped me through some of my most serious beauty probs ever. Swear to ya.
1. Desert Essence Cleansing Pads // a while back I was visiting some family out of town & I broke out… bad. So, when we headed to the teeny tiny grocery store in the teeny tiny town I stumbled upon Desert Essence products. I opted for the natural tea tree oil cleansing pads (they were airplane friendly) &… welp- my breakouts gone in no time w/o any drying. Plus, my skin felt cleaner than ever!! Tea tree oil my JAM (hello best spot treatment ever), so I was pretty much bound to love these bad boys.
2. 21 Drops De-Stress Rollerball // call me a hippy if you’d like, IDC. Cause honestly, my hippy ways when it comes to health & wellness have done me a world of good. I am all about flower essences & essential oils for just about everything, but ESP. things like stress/ anxiety/ depression. 21 drops De-Stress potion is the bomb.com, it combines a whole bunch of different flower oils (i.e. frankincense, lavender, yiang yiang, & german chamomile) to help you chill the eff out- sans any prescribed chill pills. Cause at the end of the day, many of your health & beauty problems come from too much stress. I keep this stuff in my purse at ALL times.
3. Pangea Organics Discovery Kit // Ahh Pangea. What a GEM of a beauty line. All organic body products that work wonders after wonders. I was gifted the discovery kit a while back, & I love love love it x 1000. It is a great little starter kit for you to find out which products you like best, for me– definitely the toner & the cream. Yet the whole kit is pretty rad, it leaves my skin looking dewy and perfect. Plus, it all smells so yum.
4. Dr. Bronner Organic Peppermint Soap // Magic soap is my end all be all product. It’s ALWAYS on hand at all time. I use it to wash my hair (on occasion- too often doesn’t work great), clean my produce, shampoo my make-up brushes, wash my face, do my laundry & much more. The peppermint smell is so fresh & so clean. To sum it up, it’s just one of those things you have got to have on hand at all times. Trust.
5. Josie Maran Argan Oil // My mom actually introduced me to this little jar of magic & I’ve been hooked ever since. I mainly use this in my hair before & after I use hot tools. Before to protect & after to smooth- just a little though, too much will leave you looking a bit greasy. It’s also great on cuticles/ elbows/ & icky dry feet.
6. Herbivore Botanicals Lip Butter // want the softest pout ever? I am talking Angelina soft & pouty. Yea, of course you do. Who doesn’t? Herbivore Botanicals Lip Butter kills the competition ten fold. Personally I like the lavender flave (& so does my BF), but mint & blood orange are also pretty damn delish.
7. Herbivore Botanicals Blue Clay Facial Mask // another Herbivore Botanicals product (see above), cause I am kind of digging this hole line right about now. I pretty much live for a good clay mask, this one in particular. The ingredients include French Pink Clay, Rosehip Powder, Rose Petals, Chamomile Powder– all of which leave my skin looking and feeling like a newborn baby’s bum.
8. Coconut Oil // Yup yup yup. I said it– coconut oil. This should actually be at the very tip top of my list. If you asked me the one thing I’d need if I were stranded on a desert island, after Bitzy & my beau, it’d be coconut oil. Easy. I use it as a hair mask (DIY coming soon), in my mouth to Oil Pull (more on that here), on my cuticles & feet, on my skin, on my eyelashes to make them grow, etc. etc. I could go one for days about my love affair with coconut oil- but I honestly feel like you guys are probs sick of hearing about it. Like the annoying girl who only talks about her boyfriend… yea, that’s me.
9. Eminence Stone Crop Serum // Eminence products are literally everything. I could have made this whole list about Eminence, but I didn’t want to overwhelm you, so I narrowed it down to my top 3 ultimate Eminence must haves. First off, the Stone Crop Serum will literally change your face. I can’t even explain the fabulousness of it- you really just have to try it. Like really really really! It’s 100% pure liquid gold.
10. Eminence Probiotic Mask & Cleanser // & now for the other two. Start with the probiotic mask & finish up with the cleanser. I do the cleanser every morning & night, & the mask usually 1-2x a week. This leaves my skin feeling cool, clean, & taut taut taut. Glowing like there is no tomorrow.
Got any killer natural beauty products that you’re willing to share? Let me know!! I am always trying to grow my collection ;).
So… my boyfriend went to Australia for 3 weeks & upon his arrival home I was so curious about every single little thing. Other cultures really interest me, & I wanted to know EVERYTHING, spare no detail.
What do they do in their down time? Are the on the internet as much as us crazy Americans? Are Kangaroos hopping around everywhere? Is there traffic? What is the lingo? What do they eat? Are they healthy? Do they have gluten free options on menus? Are the girls just drop-dead-gorg? Is everyone so tan & at the beach all day? Tell tell tell me everything!!!
I am sure my 20 questions Australia edition was pretty annoying, but luckily for me- my boyfriend is the most patient man to ever live…
& he answered all my questions in their entirety. What a gem!!
Out of all my pesky Q’s, what really got my ears perked was when we began to talk about the Aussies eating/health habits. He proceeded to tell me they were REALLY healthy individuals who ate clean, lived active lifestyles, & they were way into the raw/vegan/gluten free movement. Later that night, I spiraled off into the world of Instagram & ended up creeping big time on some Aussie health & wellness bloggers.
I noticed a maj trend…. fruit, fruit, & MORE FRUIT.
I am not talking like an apple with peanut butter or a grapefruit for breakfast, but some down right gorgeous looking fruit bowls, & majority (if not all of them) had Dragon Fruit in them. I wanted in.
The following day I was at the grocery store bright & early picking up as many exotic fruits as my cart could hold. I don’t think I have ever craved fruit so much in my whole entire life. This salad was a quick & easy treat to throw together, & blew the minds of my boyfriend/ mom/ friends/ & me.
Even though the bowl I made was big enough to feed a family of 20, there were absolutely no leftovers in site. Which made me very sad, next time I need to ration my guests!!!
Enjoy getting fruit wasted w/ this killer Aussie-inspired salad!
++ Ingredients:: all of the fruits listed above, but please try to buy organic if you can!! I know it’s pricey, but it’s so so so much better for you! Trust me. Mix in more fruits or swap out ones you aren’t that fond of- get weird & have fun. However you do it, it’s going to taste delish. ++
++ Once your fruits are all mixed, drizzle on a little honey- I prefer Australian Manuka Honey. ++
++ Top it off with some shredded, unsweetened coconut & some sliced almonds. ++
++ Eat & drool! Best. Salad. Ever. ++
++ getting weird w/ Dragon Fruit– stay tuned for an epic lil’ Dragon Fruit creation later this week. ++
I saw the funniest Instagram photo yesterday.
It was a picture of a plastic lawn chair set, one chair ever so slightly tipped on it’s side, the caption read “San Diego rainstorm 2014, we will rebuild!”.
LOL x 100.
Seriously though- when it comes to rain/ a strong wind/ or even just a teeny tiny drizzle, San Diegans can’t deal. Some of us go into straight hibernation (ahem ahem, me), while others gear up in full on snow gear to sit in traffic because everyone is too scared to go over 40mph on the freeway.
It’s a good thing I love the rain, & hibernating. It was so nice just lounging around the house in cozy socks / sweats / with a cup of tea / lotsa candles / movies / & some good down time this past weekend. The perfect excuse for some much needed lazy-ness.
Rain dances all around– hoping it lingers for just a few more days, esp. since I feel a cold coming on. Cough, sneeze, cough.
++ Souvenirs from Australia by One Piece, he just knows me too well. ++
++ Another gift from the land down under- Manuka Honey. This stuff is seriously amaze. Not only does it taste sweeter than any honey/sweetener I’ve ever had, but it also said to be a natural anti-biotic w/ anti-inflammatory properties. Perfect for a cup of tea when your feeling a lil’ under the weather. ++
++ Belated V-Day gift form my Mom– & the coffee table is now complete w/ this hot book by my fave girls. ++
++ Channeling my summer spirit w/ some boho flower crowns (found here & here). ++
++ Just picked up these white marble (latest lush) beads & am having a creative block. What should I make with them? Or leave them as decor in a little dish? I can’t decide!! ++