I was one of those “chosen” ones who skated right through puberty without getting a single zit on my face. Man oh man, I was the envy of all my friends and I for sure thought I hit the skincare lotto.
Nope, not the case. Acne was just taking it’s sweet time & figured that 27 would be the perfect age for me to start getting breakouts. Which, IMO, is way worse. At least when you’re 16 you have company to go with you the mall to load up on Proactive. LOL.
Really though, It wasn’t until about 2 months ago I got all this breaking outage under control- with thanks to some product recommendations from my sister & a lesson in “face mapping” from my acupuncturist.
Face mapping is an ancient practice derived from Chinese medicine & Ayurvedic practices. It is also something present day derms are using on the reg to figure out the real reason behind your breakouts and getting rid of them for good.
Using the above map as a guide to your skin issues could not only help you banish the zits, but it will also improve your overall health by nipping the deeper problem right in the bud.
Lemme break it down for ya:
» Zones 1 & 2: Breaking out above the brows means you need to work on your diet. Start eating healthier, eating cleaner, & cutting fat.
» Zone 3: Got constant zits b/w the brows? Could mean your liver needs a lil’ R&R. Cut back on the booze, avoid greasy foods, and get good rest. This area could also represent a potential food allergy, so try cutting out dairy to see if that helps!
» Zone 4 & 5: Any activity around or near your eyes points straight towards dehydration. Up the H20 intake stat.
» Zone 6 & 7: If you’re a smoker or you have allergies you may often see breakouts on your cheeks. If not & you still are getting acne in this area, it is recommended to keep your diet less acidic by eating more alkalizing foods (i.e. veggies), get fresh air often, eat cooling foods like cucumber, & cut out sugar for a hot minute.
» Zone 8: If you’ve got unsightly pimples on the tip of your nose- it’s time to give your heart a lil’ TLC. Cut back on spicy foods/meat, stop with the bad fats, & start incorporating more good fats/omegas into your diet (i.e. flax seeds, avocados, fish, etc.).
» Zone 9: Acne on the ears, yah… it’s a thing. This is all about staying hydrated, with H2-Only. No soda, no coffee, no booze- that will only make it worse.
» Zone 10 & 11: Breakouts on the left & right of your chin is typically either due to stress and/or hormonal changes. The key with this it relax, get good sleep, drink enough H2O (NO.1 when it comes to skincare), eat the greenest leafiest veggies you can find, & get a good skincare routine together (see mine below!).
» Zone 12: Smack dab zit in the center of your skin? Time to focus on your digestion. Take a probiotic, eat more fiber, & maybe even consider a cleanse to flush your system.
» Zone 13: Zits on the neck most likely mean you’re coming down with something that your body is trying to fight off. Take a breather, drink lots of water, take some vitamins, and get yourself back to health. They should disappear shortly!
Now that you’ve got the deeper issues behind your acne covered & dealt with, let’s talk about some skin care products to keep your skin glowing, complexion even, & face wrinkle free (praise!). Here are the 8 skincare (tried, tested, & true) products that my skin wouldn’t be able to function w/o:
1. Evian Mineral Water Spray: Moisturizers are way too thick for my skin, so instead I use Evian spray. It’s lightweight, moisturizes better than any other lotion/cream I’ve ever used, gives me that dewy look I love, & also functions as a great makeup setting spray.
2. Julep Bare Face Cleansing Oil: Cleansing oils are where it’s at when it comes to getting off your stubborn eye makeup. This one by Julep is lightweight, gentle, & cleanses while easily removing the toughest of mascaras (you never want to to tug or pull that around-the-eye area). It won’t clog your pores either or give you those lil’ white bumps you get from cold creams.
3. Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant: When it comes to exfoliation, I like to keep it gentle… just like my skin. This dermafoliant by Eminence is uhhhmaze. Just mix the fine powder (which is a combo of lactic acid, rice, & strawberries) with water & scrub away. It rinses away all impurities, leaves your skin looking seriously radiant, and makes pores disappear. No joke, it’s next level.
4. Mario Badescu Drying Lotion: My mom has been using this stuff FOREVER & has always sworn by it for zits. She was soooo right (always is!), just a teeny tiny dab of this pepto bismol looking lotion at night & by the time you wake up there is not a pimple in sight. It literally dries it out & away. It’s a must have for all my fellow pickers ( « worse habit ever!).
5. Eminence Stone Crop Serum: When it comes to skincare lines, Eminence is definitely my favorite. Their ingredients are all natural, 100% organic, & full of various fruits/vegetables/herbs/extracts/etc. to help provide your skin w/ tons of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals & nutrients. I was recommended to it by my facialist & have been hooked ever since. The stone crop serum is my no.1 of all my beauty products. This lil’ bottle of liquid is pure gold and has helped TREMENDOUSLY with evening out my skintone & getting rid of any unwanted splotches/ acne scars.
6. Cetaphil Gentle Skin cleanser: This cleanser is an oldie, but a goodie. I use it on my Clarisonic as it gives a good thorough cleaning & is gentle enough for any skin type.
7. Mario Badescu Silver Powder: My mom recently gave me some of this powder to try out (which is why it’s in a different jar LOL) & I am hooked. I dabbed some on my nose to try to rid myself of the blackheads I hate so much- and after just a few days of using this stuff, you can barely see a single blackhead. No joke, this powder is winning.
8. Clarisonic Mia 2: Last, but not least. EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING should own a Clarisonic. I tried to dodge this purchase for years, and often bought cheaper versions of a cleansing brush, but the truth is- nothing will compare to the Clarisonic. My skin never feels as good & clean as it does after a Clarisonic face wash, plus the whole process is oddly relaxing.
++ praise this silver powder, a blackheads worst nightmare ;) !!! ++
Got any game changing skincare products I should know about? LMK in the comments below.